I do not think that there can ever be enough books about anything and I say that knowing that some of them are going to be about Pilates.The more knowledge the better seems like a solid rule of thumb, even though I have watched enough science fiction films to accept that humanity’s unchecked pursuit of learning will end with robots taking over the world.-Sarah Vowell

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Sometimes I Lie By Alice Feeney


The book opens with the words: My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me: 1. I'm in a coma. 2. My husband doesn't love me anymore. 3. Sometimes I lie.  Amber awakes inside a hospital on Boxing Day, the day after Christmas.  She is alone. The police have been unable to get in touch with her husband.  Then the book goes back in time to the 19th of December and Amber getting ready for her job as an on-air assistant for the famous Coffee Morning with Madeline.

Madeleine hates her and wants to fire her, but then Madeline hates everyone and is a bitch.  Amber's boss gives her until New Year's to change Madeline's mind about her.  So she talks to her friend Jo who comes up with a plan of action to take Madeline down.  Feeling down about it and walking down the street, she runs into an old boyfriend, Edward, who is now a successful doctor.  He gives her his card to talk to him because he can see that she needs someone to talk to.

Back in the hospital, she finds that according to the cops she had been driving her husband's car without wearing her seatbelt and went through the windshield.  The cops believe due to the strangle marks on her neck that something else happened and neighbors heard them arguing.  The cops suspect that she was in the passenger seat and her husband was driving.  She also learns that she lost the baby she was carrying that she hadn't told her husband about.

Edward is a doctor at the hospital and he tells her that he intends to keep her in a coma.  She's trying to remember what happened that night and why Edward is so against her.  Amber's sister Claire and her husband, Paul do not get along.  Claire was the child that Amber's parents loved best.  And Claire can be demanding in her needs.

What happened that night?  Can anyone save her from Edward?  This book has so many twists it'll give you a major case of whiplash.  There's a twist right on the last page.  This book is a real page-turner and pardons my french but mind fuck.  It's an excellently written book that has well drawn out characters.  I give it five out of five stars.

Quotes
It can be dangerous to ask a question when you already know the answer.
-Alice Feeney (Sometimes I Lie p 11)

A lot of people would think I have a dream job, but nightmares are dreams too.
-Alice Feeney (Sometimes I Lie p 15)

Lies can seem true when told often enough.
-Alice Feeney (Sometimes I Lie p 81)
Life is more terrifying than death in my experience. There’s little point in fearing something so inevitable. 
-Alice Feeney (Sometimes I Lie p 117)

Memories can’t hurt anyone, unless they’re shared.
-Alice Feeney (Sometimes I Lie p 132)

Grief is only ever yours and so is guilt.  It’s not something you can share.
-Alice Feeney (Sometimes I Lie p 186)

Some people are ghosts before they are dead.
-Alice Feeney (Sometimes I Lie p 325)

We are all just ghosts of the people we hoped we were and counterfeit replicas of the people we wanted to be.
-Alice Feeney (Sometimes I Lie p 345)

It made me realize that people who do nothing are just as dangerous as those who do.
-Alice Feeney (Sometimes I Lie p 357)

Little girls are different from little boys: they’re made of sugar and spice and scar for life.
-Alice Feeney (Sometimes I Lie p 358)

People say there’s nothing like a mother’s love—take that away and you’ll find there is nothing like a daughter’s hate.
-Alice Feeney (Sometimes I Lie p 363)

It took a lot of love to hate her the way I do. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment