I do not think that there can ever be enough books about anything and I say that knowing that some of them are going to be about Pilates.The more knowledge the better seems like a solid rule of thumb, even though I have watched enough science fiction films to accept that humanity’s unchecked pursuit of learning will end with robots taking over the world.-Sarah Vowell

Monday, September 14, 2026

The Perfect Marriage by Jeneva Rose


Let me just say, I finished this book in one sitting.  It was so compelling, with a driving force that keeps you reading until the end.  Adam is married to Sarah, whose career as a top criminal attorney in D.C. has often kept her from her from spending time with her husband.  Adam, a once-famous novelist who hasn't published anything good in a long time, starts an affair with Kelly, a young, beautiful, married woman.  Adam meets Kelly at his and Sarah's vacation home in Prince Edward County, Virginia.  Adam is supposedly using the place to write.  Sarah, busy with work, never makes it out there.  Adam desperately wants a child, but Sarah doesn't.  One night, Adam is at the vacation home with Kelly, and after a night of rough sex and deep sleep, Adam wakes up at midnight remembering that he promised Sarah he would be home that night.  Adam writes Kelly a note professing his love for her and how he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her.  When Adam gets home to Sarah, she surprises him by telling him that she wants a baby.  So now Adam wants to break things off with Kelly and focus on creating a family with Sarah.  

The next morning, the police arrive to take him in for questioning in the brutal murder of Kelly at the vacation home.  It turns out that Kelly's husband, Scott, is a sheriff's deputy who has been abusive to Kelly in the past and whom Kelly is afraid to leave.  Scott left messages on her phone that he knew about the affair and was going to kill her.   Adam tells the Sheriff this, but as Scott is one of theirs, no one believes him.  Adam has been set up by someone who knows what they are doing.  Sarah becomes Adam's attorney and is doing her best to get him off the charges, no matter how angry and heartbroken she is.   Adam does not make it easier.  He is given bail with the condition that he wear an ankle monitor and stay at the vacation home.  Adam is doing his own investigation into the murder and when he believes he has discovered who the killer is, he leaves the house to go and confront them, which puts Adam back in jail.  This is just one of the many stupid things that Adam does that makes it difficult for Sarah to defend him.  

This is an incredible read that keeps you guessing as to who the murderer is.  When Gone Girl came out, I learned to accept twists in thrillers, but Rose had me going from one suspect to another, never sure who the killer was. I could easily see them all doing it.  Rose creates strong motives for everyone in this edge-of-your-seat thrill ride. I wrote a review of Rose's Dating At The End of the World (https://nicolewbrown.blogspot.com/2026/02/dating-at-end-of-world-by-janeva-rose.html) about finding love during the zombie apocalypse.  That book was so good that I looked into reading some of her other books, and I wasn't disappointed.  This was an amazing read, and I highly recommend it.


Quotes

It's the only reason the human race isn't extinct: people with no purpose breed.
Jeneva Rose (The Perfect Marriage, p. 36)

Three years later, I asked her to marry me, and she said yes again.  And although she said yes to me countless times since then, I think that was the last time she truly meant it.
Jeneva Rose (The Perfect Marriage, p. 14)

I've learned that everyone has skeletons in the closet and that the people who appear to be good are usually the worst of them all.
Jeneva Rose (The Perfect Marriage, p. 78)

A sandwich and chips did me some good, as well as a power nap.  I'm starting to feel like myself again--and by that, I mean, hopeless and depressed--but definitely sobering up.
Jeneva Rose (The Perfect Marriage, p. 206)

I don't know if I believe that, but I'm hopeful.  Even when you have nothing left in your life, hope is the one thing that can never be taken away.
Jeneva Rose (The Perfect Marriage, p. 256)








 

No comments:

Post a Comment