I do not think that there can ever be enough books about anything and I say that knowing that some of them are going to be about Pilates.The more knowledge the better seems like a solid rule of thumb, even though I have watched enough science fiction films to accept that humanity’s unchecked pursuit of learning will end with robots taking over the world.-Sarah Vowell

Monday, September 28, 2026

Mystique Volume one: Dead Drop Gorgeous by Brian K. Vaughn (Writer), Jorge Lucas (Art),and VC's Randy Gentile with Paul Tutrone (Letterer)

 

This captivating graphic novel opens up with Xavier's top spy, Prudence, in Russia, trying to get schematics for Russian Sentinels that had been sold out of the country when she gets caught by pyrotechnic arms dealer Steinbeck.  She tells him, "That you can't always get what you want," and he replies, "But if you try, sometimes you just might get what you" Then she knees him in the groin and says, "Kneed".  Later, she tells him she's more of a Beatles fan and says You know what they say about happiness ('Happiness Is a Warm Gun' off of the White Album).  There are all sorts of pop culture references throughout the book that will make you laugh.  

When Prudence is killed by Steinbeck, Professor X hunts down Mystique with Forge's help.  He offers her a trade-off: work for me, and I will keep your enemies and the government from finding you with a new device that can shield her presence, or take her chances without it.  She also can't kill anyone when she goes to Cuba to crush the recently bought Sentinels from Russia.  In Cuba, young mutants have been going missing, and their parents suspect the government, which has a decidedly anti-mutant stance.  Will Mystique complete her mission with only the tranquilizer gun Charles left for her and rescue the children? I absolutely adored this book.  It's the first Mystique novel I have read, and it's a winner.  This series takes place from 2003-2005.  I cannot wait to get my hands on it.  The art is amazing, and the writing is beyond great.  Get your hands on a copy today.






No comments:

Post a Comment